Most geeks I know love movies, though their content preference may vary. Sci-fi, fantasy, superhero, mystery, rom-com, anime, Disney/animated… Hollywood makes sure there’s something for everyone. Fortunately, so does Kansas City. Read on where to see free movies in Kansas City this summer.
Free movies in Kansas City
- Moonlight Movies on the Square – Independence: Moonlight Movies are shown every Thursday at 9pm throughout the summer. The movies are projected onto the side of the Pharaoh Theater on the Independence Square. Concessions are available for your favorite movie snacks.
- July 19: Coco
- July 26: Cars
- August 2: Sherlock Gnomes
- August 9: A Wrinkle in Time
- Briarcliff Trails – North KC: Movies are shown on Saturday nights during the summer at approx. 8:45 p.m./dusk at Mulberry Lake across from The Village at Briarcliff. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs and snacks.
- July 14: Beauty & the Beast (2017)
- July 21: Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation
- Flicks on the Bricks in City Market Park – River Market: Go early and dine at your favorite City Market restaurants and then head over to the bricks in front of the paddlewheel in City Market Park for the Alamo Drafthouse pre-show at 8pm; movie begins at 9pm. Bring your lawn chair, blanket and cooler. Concessions will be available for purchase from Alamo Drafthouse.
- JULY 27: MUSIC: tribute performance by Sex Bob-Omb / MOVIE: Scott Pilgrim VS. the World
- AUGUST 31: MUSIC: ’80s/90s tribute by LÜV GLÜV / MOVIE: Wayne’s World
- SEPTEMBER 28: MUSIC: Live movie songs (bring your vocal cords) / MOVIE: Almost Famous
- WeekEnder at Crown Center:Cap off your work week with top local bands and favorite food trucks on Crown Center Square, followed by a classic movie under the stars. The festivities begin at 6 PM with the movie starting at approximately 9 PM. Admission is FREE. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs. Please note that pets are NOT permitted at this event. Alcoholic beverages may not be brought in. No glass containers.
- July 20: MUSIC: Big Time Grain Co / MOVIE: Spider-Man: Homecoming
- July 27: MUSIC: County Road 5 / MOVIE: Miracle
- August 3: MUSIC: The Zeros / MOVIE: Mamma Mia!
- Kansas City Public Library Off the Wall series – Downtown: Third Fridays, May through September, doors open at 8 p.m., Screenings begin at 8:45 p.m., Rooftop Terrace, 5th Floor, Central Library. Bring blankets and folding chairs for seating. Enjoy complimentary popcorn provided; you may also bring outside food and non-alcoholic beverages. RSVP required.
- July 20: Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist (2008)
- August 17: Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
- September 21: Pitch Perfect (2012)
Also at KC Public Library this summer:
- Olathe Public Library: See a free family movie at the Downtown Library and Indian Creek Library. No registration is necessary, but space is limited. Tickets will be distributed on a first come, first served basis starting 30 minutes before the show. Kindergarten and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
- August 6, 2pm: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
- August 13, 2pm: LEGO Ninjago movie
- Mid-Continent Public Library: different classics will be shown at different locations.
- Sprint Family Fun Series – Power & Light District: Not a movie, but still free fun, the second Saturday of each month, May – October!
- Summit Fair – Lee’s Summit: Showtime is scheduled for approximately 9:15PM – once its dark enough, but festivities kickoff at at 8:30PM. Bring your own chairs/blankets. No glass containers or alcohol permitted. Movie is located in the public parking lot behind DSW.
- August 3: Enchanted
- September 7: Billy Madison
- October 5: Nightmare Before Christmas
- Nerds of Nostalgia at Tapcade – Crossroads: Join co-hosts Greg and Jenius as they take you down memory lane’s rabbit hole and explore deep cuts and cult classics on the big screen. Once a month the duo hosts Mystery Movie Mondays, a series focusing on a theme and surprises the audience with a unique film. After the movie, the duo records a live edition of their podcast, The Nerds of Nostalgia. These screenings are FREE unless otherwise noted.
- August 18: Nerds Back to School Double Feature
- Slaughter Movie House at Screenland Armour: Indie horror screenings the first Monday of every month. Party starts at 7pm, Movies begin at 8pm
- August 6: Bloody Bloody Bible Camp
Like this post? Tweet it!
[bctt tweet=”Like movies? See them for free in #KansasCity this summer! @KCGeeks has details!” via=”no”]